Everything you need to know to work on a small claims file
This publication is essential for: anyone appearing in Small Claims Court or assisting a small claims CRT applicant
Current to: September 1, 2021
Success in Small Claims Provincial Court requires specialized knowledge and abilities. Provincial Court Small Claims Handbook guides you through all of the unique steps in Small Claims Court, from starting an action to enforcing an order. It also explains the small claims jurisdiction carved out for the Civil Resolution Tribunal. Designed to complement CLEBC's Small Claims Act and Rules—Annotated, this resource offers you quick access to important cases, practice points, and forms so you can effectively advocate for your client in court or help them understand the Civil Resolution Tribunal process.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- decide whether Small Claims Court is right for your client's issue
- access quickly important case law on procedure
- confidently prepare for and appear in Small Claims Court
- assist clients who will proceed before the Civil Resolution Tribunal
Buy today and be an effective small claims advocate! View a sample from this book!
This Update provides new cases and commentary and includes revised versions of the case table, statute table, and index.
Highlights of the 2021 Update include:
- case law annotations and legislation brought current to approximately September 1, 2021
- expanded commentary regarding, among others, the following:
- the mandate and jurisdiction of the Civil Resolution Tribunal, particularly with respect to the resolution of minor motor vehicle accident claims
- updated language to reflect recent amendments to the Small Claims Rules regarding e-mail service and remote attendance
- the awarding of costs for fees and expenses in Small Claims actions
- procedural and time considerations for settlement conferences
- new sections regarding virtual and remote attendance procedures for non-trial matters, including COVID-19 considerations, current practice directions, filing procedures, and reference to required forms
Sign up for a Standing Order to receive notice one month before a new update is released and receive a special update price. Contact Customer Service for more information. Sign up for an annual subscription to this title and receive 35% off the price of the print copy.
Discover all of our Litigation resources here
CLEBC Legal Editor