What you need to know to practise strata property law with success
This publication is essential for: lawyers who need guidance on advising and acting for clients in the strata property context
Current to: February 1, 2022
BC continues to undergo a high level of new strata construction and conversions, with windups now growing in number. With challenging legislative amendments and an active litigation and administrative law environment, the British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual is your must-have resource for doing legal work in the strata property context. Focused on the nuances of practice in light of changing authorities, this manual explains requirements for creation, governance, operation, phasing, and winding up of a strata corporation, as well as financing, insurance, collections, rental, employment, human rights, and privacy issues. Relied on and cited by courts and tribunals, the manual offers help for legal professionals grappling with traditional and new venues for resolving strata disputes.
With an online subscription to British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual, your firm will be able to:
- conveniently access detailed guidance at any time and from any location, search for relevant information, link directly to significant legislation, case law, and websites, and download precedents
- read a strata plan and understand required land title filings
- work with the distinctions between strata lots, CP, and LCP
- gain confidence in your grasp of how sections operate and the meaning of types
- work effectively with strata bylaws
- advise your strata corporation, strata council and executive, section executive, strata lot owner, tenant, or occupant, strata manager, owner developer, and local government clients on their rights and responsibilities
- save drafting time with over 50 strata property forms and precedents
Subscribe today and be strata-savvy! View a sample from this book!
Highlights of the 2022 Update include:
- October 2021 CRT Act amendments elevating standard of judicial review to "patent unreasonableness"
- new table: judicial review of CRT decisions
- BCFSA regulation of strata managers
- BCSC: strata corporations and rental pool management
- CRT: restricted proxy meetings
- CRT: orders for disclosure of legal opinions and strata council/strata manager correspondence
- CRT: recovery of costs
- CRT: bylaws on rental restrictions, short-term accommodation prohibition
- strata employment issues related to COVID-19, paid leave for PI or illness effective January 1, 2022
- Indigenous identity as protected ground under the Human Rights Code
- suspension of application to dismiss human rights complaint process
- new OIPC decisions on privacy in strata corporations: key fobs and video surveillance, personal info disclosure
- CRT: insurance-related decisions on chargeback/indemnification bylaws, deductible recovery
- updated discussion of phasing-related budget issues
Annual subscription rates are based on firm size. A monthly payment option is available.
Online subscribers can purchase a print copy of British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual for 35% off its regular price.
|2 to 4
|5 to 9
|10 to 19
|20 to 39
|40 to 69
* For non-law firm pricing, please contact CLEBC Customer Service.
Discover all of our Real Estate resources here
CLEBC Legal Editor
L. Joy Tataryn