Manage your probate and estate matters with confidence
This publication is essential for: practitioners who do estate administration or estate litigation work
Current to: February 15, 2021
If you work in estate administration, you know there is a high potential for error. Reduce the risk with British Columbia Probate & Estate Practice Manual, which takes you step-by-step through handling probate and estate matters in BC. This longstanding manual is the answer to all your probate and estate administration questions, from initial contact with a personal representative to post-grant issues. This manual also covers difficult tax and conflict of laws issues, as well as potential areas for estate litigation.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- confidently advise personal representatives on how to successfully administer an estate
- prepare for and make probate and estate administration applications
- better avoid and handle contentious areas during the estate administration process
Buy now and master estate planning and administration! View a sample from this book!
Highlights of the 2021 Update include the following:
- all chapters, forms and precedents, checklists, and other features of the manual have been brought current to February 15, 2021
- extensive coverage of recent amendments to the Wills, Estates and Succession Act
- new sections covering the following:
- steps the personal representative should take to collect information regarding the deceased's spouse
- legal and equitable entitlement to benefit plan designations
- discussion of scope of dispensation power under s. 58 of the WESA
- BC Business Corporations Act Transparency Register
- new and expanded discussion regarding, among others, the following:
- provisions permitting virtual signing in the WESA and prospective amendments allowing for electronic wills
- Calmusky Estate v. Calmusky, 2020 ONSC 1506, which applies the law of resulting trust to beneficiaries designated on registered plans and life insurance
- the proper procedure for appealing the assessment of a bill of costs
Sign up for a Standing Order to receive notice one month before a new update is released and receive a special update price. Contact Customer Service for more information. Sign up for an annual subscription to this title and receive 35% off the price of the print copy.
CLEBC Legal Editor