Your mentor for providing basic business law advice
This publication is essential for: lawyers who provide advice to BC private companies on business law
Current to: October 1, 2020
Advising businesses requires broad legal knowledge of everything from financing and tax to real estate and environmental law. Organized by topic, Advising British Columbia Businesses covers common legal issues that emerge during the life cycle of a business so you can help clients select appropriate business structures and advise them on the array of challenges they will encounter. Full of the type of information that good mentors pass on to their associates, this guide emphasizes "how to" and practical tips. Focused on BC Business Corporations Act private companies, this resource also explores societies, partnerships, and other kinds of businesses.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- handle a diverse range of business law questions and client needs
- recognize potential risks and problems with your clients' situations early on
- determine when you need more specialized advice regarding a specific topic
Buy today and be assured of your ability to advise business law clients! View sample from this book!
Highlights of the 2020 Update include:
- discussion of the new Land Owner Transparency Register and Land Owner Transparency Act
- introduction of benefit companies and transparency registers under the Business Corporations Act
- changes under the New West Partnership Trade Agreement, including Manitoba's participation
- updates to and enhanced discussion regarding the notification and review requirements for foreign investments under the Investment Canada Act
- analysis and commentary on the new Arbitration Act and the rebranded Vancouver International Arbitration Centre (formerly the British Columbia International Commercial Arbitration Centre) and its new domestic rules
- addition of online resources regarding COVID-19 effects on workplaces and other employment matters
- discussion of the implications of Matthews v. Ocean Nutrition Canada Ltd., 2020 SCC 26
- updated commentary and legislation regarding environmental matters
- commentary on the effects on intellectual property matters arising from the replacement of NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) with CUSMA (Canada-United States-Mexico Agreement)
- updates on the BC insurance market
Sign up for a Standing Order to receive notice one month before a new update is released and receive a special update price. Contact Customer Service for more information. Sign up for an annual subscription to this title and receive 35% off the price of the print copy.
Discover all of our Business Law resources here
CLEBC Legal Editor