Your mentor for providing basic business law advice
This publication is essential for: lawyers who provide advice to BC private companies on business law
Current to: November 1, 2018
Advising businesses requires broad legal knowledge of everything from financing and tax to real estate and environmental law. Organized by topic, Advising British Columbia Businesses covers common legal issues that emerge during the life cycle of a business so you can help clients select appropriate business structures and advise them on the array of challenges they will encounter. Full of the type of information that good mentors pass on to their associates, this guide emphasizes "how to" and practical tips. Focused on BC Business Corporations Act private companies, this resource also explores societies, partnerships, and other kinds of businesses.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- handle a diverse range of business law questions and client needs
- recognize potential risks and problems with your clients' situations early on
- determine when you need more specialized advice regarding a specific topic
Buy today and be assured of your ability to advise business law clients! View sample from this book!
Highlights of the 2019 Update include:
- tax on split income ("TOSI") and use of income splitting in tax planning
- election to not have GST apply to the sale of a business
- Vancouver vacancy tax (aka "empty homes tax"), BC speculation tax in specified regions, and changes to foreign buyers' tax, changes to BC school tax on high-valued residential properties
- proposed BC Land Ownership Transparency Act
- effects of amendments to Canada Trade-marks Act, including elimination of use requirement for registration and 2017 SCC case law on patents utility requirement
- proposed repeal and replacement of BC Environmental Assessment Act, including new requirements with respect to professional governance of qualified environmental professionals
Sign up for a Standing Order to receive notice one month before a new update is released and receive a special update price. Contact Customer Service for more information. Sign up for an annual subscription to this title and receive 35% off the price of the print copy.
Discover all of our Business Law resources here
CLEBC Legal Editor
L. Joy Tataryn