William Buholzer's classic portable guide to BC local government laws
This book is essential for: all members of municipal councils and regional boards, officers and employees of local government, and practitioners and others who deal with local government.
Current to: July 1, 2015
Bill Buholzer has completed a new edition of his guide to local government laws, which CLEBC has released under the title Local Government: A British Columbia Legal Handbook. Bill is well known as an author and lawyer; this guide has always attracted a wide audience in the legal and local government communities.
Local Government: A British Columbia Legal Handbook provides an accessible, topic-by-topic review of how the Local Government Act and the Charter work with other legislation to govern each aspect of local government law, and offers insights into how the courts of British Columbia and other Canadian "broad municipal powers" jurisdictions view local government laws.
Read our interview with the author.
ONLINE ONLY annual subscriptions are available. Subscribe now.
Highlights of the 2015 Update
The 2015 edition adds commentary on key new developments, including:
- campaign financing and reporting under the Local Elections Campaign Financing Act
- elections and voting under the Local Government Act
- administration of building standards under the pending Building Act
- regulation of land use contracts under the Local Government Act
- transportation issues, such as the Mayors’ Council on Regional Transportation
- important judicial decisions in 2014 and 2015
- all other noteworthy developments since December 2012
For the convenience of subscribers, the 2015 edition includes the full text of the Community Charter.
Stay current sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published. Contact Customer Service for more information. d
CLEBC Legal Editor