Your handy Small Claims Court Act and Rules guide with commentary
This book is essential for: anyone appearing in Small Claims Court
Current to: September 1, 2022
Small Claims Court may be the right court to take your client's case. With Small Claims Act and Rules: Annotated, you have quick and easy access to the complete text of the Small Claims Act and Small Claims Rules along with annotations of case law selected and summarized by provincial court judges. Designed to complement CLEBC's Provincial Court Small Claims Handbook, this resource is your guide to getting the right outcome for your client in Small Claims Court.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- quickly refer to the Rule or section of the Act that you need
- access important case law on procedural and substantive law issues
- confidently advise your client and appear in Small Claims Court
Buy today and have your Small Claims Court companion at your fingertips! View a sample from this book!
The commentary in the 2023 Update is current to September 1, 2022 with the legislation current to October 3, 2022. Highlights include:
- incorporation of amendments to the Small Claims Rules that came into effect on October 3, 2022 (B.C. Reg. 161/2022)
- discussion of notable cases covering:
- factors to consider in determining when the limitation period on a claim starts to run (McInroy v. Estate of Jon L. Gamble, 2022 BCPC 92)
- the latest appeal in British Columbia (Attorney General) v. Trial Lawyers Association of British Columbia, 2022 BCCA 289 on the challenge to the jurisdiction of the CRT
- what a collection agency must establish in a proceed to collect a debt that has been assigned (EOS Canada Inc. v. Oppenheimer, 2022 BCPC 154)
- the test for dismissal/renewal of a notice of civil resolution tribunal claim when there's a failure in timely service (Abour v. That Darn Yarn Shop Ltd., 2022 BCPC 22)
- interpreter's fees as a reasonable expense (A-Class Construction & Drywall Ltd. v. Kids Zone Child Care Centre Ltd., 2021 BCPC 279)
Sign up for a Standing Order to receive notice one month before a new update is released and receive a special update price. Contact Customer Service for more information. Sign up for an annual subscription to this title and receive 35% off the price of the print copy.
CLEBC Legal Editor