Friday, November 24, 2023
9:00 am – 12:00 pm
via webinar only
Please note: This course will not be added to Courses on Demand. Courses involving professional speakers and skills-based workshops generally do not get added to Courses on Demand.
Who should attend: Lawyers who want to be deal makers, not deal breakers—those who want to learn how to create agreements that are an effortless reading experience while still reflecting the critical terms of a deal
Learning level: Fundamental/Intermediate
It's time to write contracts differently! Stuart Teicher, Esq. (the "CLE Performer") uses his unique style to explain why lawyers need to break free from the restrictions of the past—those dreaded forms. Whether it's rewriting the form or drafting from scratch, Stuart teaches us how to make our contract drafting better by focusing on the essence of transactional drafting, the details of proper contract structure, and the key details in our writing.
- Making the deal—a reminder about how the client thinks, what they care about, and how to translate that into an agreement
- Why contract structure is critical
- the importance of content grouping
- when formatting matters
- eliminating obstacles...like block paragraphs
- Drafting contingencies that work and the role of definitions
- Drafting clearly and without ambiguity
- deconstructing complex clauses
- incorporating plain language without reducing enforceability
- reworking boilerplate provisions
- Getting down to the details
- when to use shall, must, and will
- grammar rules you should ignore in contract drafting
- a few words on proper punctuation
- unique contract styles and when they might be valuable
- Some practical tips for a smoother transaction
Here's what past registrants had to say:
"Outstanding. Tricked me into thinking I was being entertained, instead of learning drafting/writing skills. Funny!"
"Stuart knows how to keep the audience engaged! The three hours were illuminating, enlightening, and informative!"
You may also be interested in A Deeper Dive into the Details of Persuasive Writing on Friday, November 17, 2023.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 3 hours (this course does not contain professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Stuart Teicher, Esq. — Teicher Professional Growth, LLC, East Brunswick, New Jersey
Register by Oct. 27/23
After Oct. 27/23
|Live Webinar Articled Student
CLEBC Program Coordinator