Enhancing your negotiation skills
Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Tuesday, December 7, 2021
9:00 am – 12:00 pm (both days) via webinar
Please note: This course will not be added to Courses on Demand. Courses involving professional speakers and skills-based workshops generally do not get added to Courses on Demand.
Who should attend: Anyone who has not formally studied negotiation or who wants to further develop their negotiation skills
Learning level: Fundamental
A negotiation can be broadly defined as the process of discussing something with someone with a goal of reaching an agreement. That definition suggests we are negotiating way more often than we think. However, very few of us have received any formal training in how to prepare for these important conversations.
By the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- explain three possible approaches to negotiation (i.e., hard, soft, principled) and outline the advantages and disadvantages of each approach
- describe important elements in each step of the negotiation process (i.e., preparation, probing, proposing/countering)
- rank and weigh negotiation items/issues and develop stretch goals, goals and bottom lines for each
- identify probing questions to better understand their negotiating counterpart
- separate a negotiator's position(s) from their interest(s)
- assess proposals and counter strategically with concessions to improve outcomes
- respond to difficult negotiators
Please note: This course is offered remotely through a Zoom platform. A device equipped with a camera and microphone will be required to participate.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (this course will include a minimum of 1 hour of professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Nathan Lockhart — President, Spectrum Solutions Professional Development Inc., Ottawa, ON
Register by Nov. 2/21
After Nov. 2/21
Are you an Indigenous lawyer or community member?
Click here for special pricing.
Do you need financial assistance?
Click here for bursary information.
Experiencing financial hardship due to COVID-19?
You may be eligible for further reductions in our course prices.
Please contact Customer Service for more information.
Registration includes an electronic copy of the workshop materials.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn about our Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
CLEBC Program Coordinator