Click here to read a sample from the book!
The only full set of civil jury instructions in Canada
This publication is essential for:
Trial judges and litigators working with civil juries.
Current to: December 1, 2017
Jury trials involve an immense amount of work, especially when it comes to researching and writing jury instructions. Here to assist is Civil Jury Instructions, an annual work product of members of the BCSC and the private Bar. With approximately 100 standard, plain language instructions on procedure and substantive matters such as evidence, torts, defences, and damages, enhanced by helpful information on all aspects of jury BC civil jury procedure, Civil Jury Instructions does the heavy lifting for you. User notes and annotations to the instructions alert you to the relevant legal authorities, provide warnings, and offer alternative language. Checklists, sample questions, and a user guide help you effectively prepare for your jury trial.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- understand the specific evidence required to prove a particular action or defence
- save time researching, drafting, and updating your collection of civil jury instructions
- effectively prepare for a jury trial
Buy today and be prepared for your next jury trial!
Highlights of the 2018 update:
- annotations updated with:
- SCC and BCCA discussion of awarding damages for mental distress without a mental illness diagnosis
- SCC discussion of establishing causation based on speculative expert evidence
- BCCA discussion of satisfying the requirement of causal connection between plaintiff’s breach of standard of care and loss sustained where contributory negligence alleged
- new annotations on sexual assault consent and mistake of age defences in cases of plaintiff children
|Print + Online Package
Stay current—sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published. Contact Customer Service for more information.
CLEBC Legal Editor
L. Joy Tataryn