Your mentor for providing basic business law advice
This publication is essential for: solicitors looking for a foundational understanding of BC business law topics or a launching point for more advanced business law issues.
Current to: November 1, 2016
Advising businesses requires broad legal knowledge of everything from financing and tax to real estate and environmental law. Organized by topic, Advising BC Businesses covers common legal issues that emerge during the life cycle of a business, so you can help clients select appropriate business structures and advise them on the array challenges they will encounter. Full of the type of information that good mentors pass on to their associates, this guide emphasizes the "how to" and practical tips. Focused on private companies under the BC Business Corporations Act, this resource also explores societies, partnerships, and other kinds of businesses.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- handle a diverse range of business law questions and client needs
- recognize potential risks and problems with your clients’ situations early on
- determine when you need more specialized advice regarding a specific topic
Buy your copy and be assured in your ability to advise business law clients today!
Highlights of the 2017 update
- chapter 1 (Initial Considerations) and Chapter 2 (Organizing and Operating a Business)—revised coverage to reflect the new Societies Act.
- chapter 3 (Debt Financing) )—new coverage for money laundering and client identification; also new commentary on use of lawyer’s trust cheques.
- chapter 4 (Equity Financing)—significant updates on prospectus exemptions (under revised NI 45-106).
- chapter 5 (Business Acquisitions)—key court decisions on broken business deals (the 2017 Update incorporates over 40 new decisions from appellate and other courts).
- chapter 7 (Legal Opinions)—new statements from the Solicitors’ Legal Opinions Committee; also new coverage of legal opinions regarding share capital.
- chapter 8 (Tax Issues)—coverage of the foreign buyers tax; also significant updates for the CRA’s revised tax treatment of partnerships.
- chapter 11 (Real Estate Issues)—updates relating to electronic searches and electronic filing with the LTSA.
- chapter 12 (Environmental Law)—coverage of the new Water Sustainability Act, Riparian Areas Protection Act, revised Environmental Management Act, and federal and provincial carbon tax initiatives.
- chapter 16 (Bankruptcy)—revisions throughout for new case law and practice developments.
|Print + Online Package
Stay current—sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published.
Contact Customer Service for more information.
CLEBC Legal Editor