From the ground floor up
This publication is essential for: Lawyers acting for parties involved in strata matters, such as strata corporations, strata lot owners, strata managers, owner developers, and local government.
Current to: January 1, 2013
With our province continuing to undergo a high level of new strata construction and conversions, and with significant legislative amendments now in force as well as an active litigation environment, the British Columbia Strata Property Practice Manual is an essential practice tool for solicitors and litigators working in the field of strata property. The book is a winner of the ACLEA Award for Professional Excellence in Publications!
Subscriptions include forms, precedents, and checklists on CD-ROM, and online access with search capability and links to the full text of case law and legislation.
NEW! ONLINE ONLY annual subscriptions are now available. Click here to subscribe.
Highlights of the 2013 update
- new depreciation report requirement for capital planning purposes, exemptions from, and waiver of requirement
- new Information Certificate disclosure requirements regarding allocation of parking stalls and storage lockers and attachment of depreciation report
- land title office document e-filing including strata plans, strata corporation amalgamation agreements
- potential loss of strata corporation tax-exempt status from leasing common assets such as caretaker’s suite and rooftops for telecommunications equipment installations
- forthcoming Civil Resolution Tribunal for handling strata disputes
- new discussion of section finances
- new two-year limitation period for collecting amounts owed under a Certificate of Lien
- bylaws and rules necessary to collect non-lienable amounts
- increase in permissible contingency reserve fund contributions with majority vote approval
- changes to Real Estate Council of BC’s Re-licensing Education Program for strata managers
- claiming against proceeds of surplus in tax sales, proceeds of crime seizures, and bankruptcies
- hiring strata council members and other strata lot owners as employees
- owners’ vicarious liability for negligence of others using owner’s strata lot
- new case law on owners’ alterations to limited common property