Click here to read a sample from the book!
Practical solutions to your builders lien problems and questions
This publication is essential for: lawyers needing practical guidance on BC builders lien issues.
Current to: September 1, 2017
Builders liens issues arise frequently in construction and real estate practices and you need to have speedy answers for your clients. The British Columbia Builders Liens Practice Manual guides you through practical issues that frequently arise under the Builders Lien Act, covering the entire process from how to file a claim of lien all the way to enforcing a lien. With each topic, you receive guidance, relevant sections of the Act, case law, and templates to help you address the specific lien issue that your client is facing.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- understand the nature of the lienable interest, the builders lien trust, and lien priorities
- quickly determine the procedures and time limits for filing, enforcing, or discharging your client’s lien
- avoid common builders lien mistakes leading to solicitor’s liability
Buy today and build your confidence on builders liens matters!
Highlights of the 2017 update
- legislative and practice developments since the 2015 update
- new SCC, BCCA, and BCSC decisions on:
- filing deadlines and the certificate of completion
- termination of the head contract as a triggering event
- invalid components of lien amounts
- the lien against the holdback
- constructive trusts and builders liens
- breach of trust and builders liens
- bankruptcy and insolvency and the trust
- foreclosure proceedings and lien claimants
- liens extinguished by non-compliance
- naming parties in a lien action
- relevant case law from superior courts in Alberta, Ontario, and other provinces
- new topics such as right to information about a labour and material bond (Chapter 11)
|Print + Online Package
Stay current—sign up for our Standing Order list!
Receive a friendly reminder one month before a new update is published.
CLEBC Legal Editor
Jonathan M. Vogt