Create effective estate plans that fulfill your clients’ wealth preservation goals
This publication is essential for: practitioners looking for estate planning guidance, including tax advice and sample trusts, to address a diverse range of client needs.
Current to: March 7, 2019
The legal profession is experiencing the largest intergenerational transfer of wealth in history. BC Estate Planning & Wealth Preservation is your comprehensive guide to effective estate planning techniques for complicated portfolios. Focused on tax-based planning in BC, this manual is designed to accompany Wills and Personal Planning Precedents: An Annotated Guide by providing commentary and annotated forms to equip you to create trusts and other wealth preservation tools to complement your client’s will.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- determine a sensible approach for your clients’ estate planning needs
- create practical estate plans to preserve your clients’ and their families’ wealth
- confidently handle a wide range of client estate portfolios and assets
View a sample from this book!
Highlights of the 2019 Update include:
Commentary on the following developments from the past year:
- changes to the split income provisions in the Income Tax Act (“TOSI”);
- changes to the taxation of passive investments in Canadian-controlled private corporations (“CCPCs”);
- potential implementation of the Land Owner Transparency Act and the resulting effects on companies, trusts, and partnerships;
- the Supreme Court of Canada’s recent review of the law related to unjust enrichment in Moore v Sweet, 2018 SCC 52;
- distinguishing graduated rate estates and testamentary trusts;
- the Supreme Court of Canada’s consideration of the nature of discretionary trust interests in SA v Metro Vancouver Housing Corp., 2019 SCC 4; and
- the recently enacted Speculation and Vacancy Tax Act.
- Captures recent amendments to the Wills, Estates, and Succession Act (am. 2019-4-6).
- Commentary on over 45 new cases
CLEBC Legal Editor