Click here to read a sample from the book!
Create effective estate plans that fulfill your clients’ wealth preservation goals
This publication is essential for: practitioners looking for estate planning guidance, including tax advice and sample trusts, to address a diverse range of client needs.
The legal profession is experiencing the largest intergenerational transfer of wealth in history. BC Estate Planning & Wealth Preservation is your comprehensive guide to effective estate planning techniques for complicated portfolios. Focused on tax-based planning in BC, this manual is designed to accompany Wills and Personal Planning Precedents: An Annotated Guide by providing commentary and annotated forms to equip you to create trusts and other wealth preservation tools to complement your client’s will.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- determine a sensible approach for your clients’ estate planning needs
- create practical estate plans to preserve your clients’ and their families’ wealth
- confidently handle a wide range of client estate portfolios and assets
Highlights of the 2018 update
- several chapters significantly revised to reflect the new tax laws, including CH 1 (Tax Fundamentals) and CH 8 (Personal Use Real Estate in Estate Planning)
- fundamental changes to the taxation of small businesses
- expansion of the split income provisions in the Income Tax Act
- changes to taxation of passive investments in Canadian-controlled private corporations
- expansion of foreign buyers’ tax and other provincial tax developments
- new developments relating to the taxation of bare trusts
- proposed federal reporting requirements for trusts
- sample trusts updated to reflect new legislation
- significant US estate law changes under the new Tax Cuts and Jobs Act
- new topics introduced in several chapters including:
- presumptions in relation to jointly held assets
- passing of accounts by committees
- remuneration under representation agreements
- anti-avoidance rules applicable to Registered Disability Savings Plans