Click here to read a sample from the book!
Everything you need to know to work on a small claims file
This publication is essential for: anyone appearing in Small Claims Court.
Current to: November 1, 2017
Success in Provincial Court civil proceedings requires a special set of knowledge and abilities. Provincial Court Small Claims Handbook provides you with a meticulous review of all the unique steps in a small claims action from deciding whether to start an action in Provincial Court to enforcing an order. Designed to complement CLEBC’s Small Claims Act & Rules: Annotated, this handbook focuses on procedure rather than substantive law. With this guide, you will improve your ability to provide economical, high quality small claims services to your clients. Now includes a new chapter on the Civil Resolution Tribunal.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- make informed decisions on jurisdiction
- draft small claims pleadings with all of the right information
- confidently prepare and defend pre-trial applications
- effectively conduct a trial and bring an appeal in BC Provincial Court or BC Supreme Court
Buy your copy and be small claims capable today!
Highlights of the 2018 update:
- discussion of supervision of designated paralegals as they are permitted to act
- discussion of recent notable case law including:
- holding that pleading the merits in the alternative and attending a settlement conference constitutes attornment
- holding that contractual interest is not an amount excluded from the court’s monetary jurisdiction
- discussion of recent legislative developments including:
- termination procedures for specific Small Claims Rules 7.2 and 7.4 mediation programs and pilot projects; matters previously subject to Rules 7.2 and 7.4 now referred to settlement conferences or, if applicable, simplified or summary trial processes
- change in the Small Claims Court’s monetary jurisdiction
- coming into force of the small claims jurisdiction of the Civil Resolution Tribunal
CLEBC Legal Editor
L. Joy Tataryn