Discovery: Your key to reaching settlement or gaining an edge at trial
This publication is essential for: all civil litigators looking for direction regarding discovery.
The tools of discovery are powerful and are potentially invasive instruments that can strengthen your case and damage your opponent’s. Discovery Practice in British Columbia arms you with strategies to successfully discover your opponent's case while revealing what is appropriate about your own. This manual covers all discovery tools including document discovery, examination for discovery, pre-trial examination, interrogatories, and more. You will benefit from scripts used by seasoned litigators and real-life lessons from their experiences to inform your own discovery needs.
With this resource, you will be able to:
- determine strategic approaches for obtaining and giving document production
- ask the right questions and make effective objections at examinations
- assert and attack privilege claims
- skillfully use discovery evidence at trial
Buy your copy and master the tools of discovery today!
Highlights of the 2018 update
- inclusion of the most significant BC Supreme Court and Court of Appeal decisions, including judicial commentary on:
- document discovery: scope of production obligations, consequences of non-disclosure, and circumstances in which an affidavit of documents order is warranted
- examination for discovery: who may be examined, remedies for non-compliance, when further examination for discovery will be ordered, and when the implied undertaking does and does not apply
- privilege: solicitor-client privilege as a substantive legal right, waiver of solicitor-client privilege, government privilege including public interest immunity and confidential informer privilege, and privilege relating to document production
- discovery by physical and mental examination: first and further examinations, and when further examinations will be ordered