Learn how to take control of the facts at discovery and take control of the trial!
Friday, March 22, 2019
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Pan Pacific Hotel, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver
or attend via webinar
Who should attend: Supreme Court litigators who wish to develop, hone, or renew the skill set essential to effective discovery practice.
Learning level: Fundamental
Discovery is a critical step in the litigation process, as it is your chance to control the facts and create a winning case before trial even begins. This full-day, multimedia course will teach you how to masterfully prepare for and conduct the core elements of discovery. Seasoned panelists will explore proven discovery techniques and tools, as well as guide you through videos demonstrating various aspects of discovery practice. You will test your ability to identify and resolve discovery problems, and uncover best practices all with an eye to civility and professionalism. This course is designed to complement Lyle Harris, QC and Jennifer Brun’s CLEBC publication, Discovery Practice in British Columbia*, for which course attendees receive a 20% discount!
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- understand how discovery evidence is used at trial and what this means for your discovery preparation
- understand the requirement of documentary discovery under the Civil Rules and be able to map out a plan for any file
- effectively prepare your client for discovery, from helping your client understand the case to being comfortable with giving discovery evidence
- conduct an effective discovery while maintaining the highest standards of civility and professionalism
- understand and utilize best principles and practices to help you make most of the discovery process
*The book is recommended reading for the course. You may purchase a copy at the same time as you register for the course and SAVE $60. Please Contact Customer Service to order.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (a minimum of 1 hour pertaining to professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Jennifer J.L. Brun — Harris & Brun Law Corporation, Vancouver
Lyle G. Harris, QC — Harris & Brun Law Corporation, Vancouver
Register by Feb. 22/19
After Feb. 22/19
|Webinar Articled Student
|In Person Articled Student*
|Save even more with your CPDone Pass.
Registration includes an electronic copy of the reference materials.
*Lunch is included.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! Plus-one pricing!
Gather a few colleagues around a computer to SAVE on Webinar/Rebroadcast costs! Groups pay full price for the main registrant + $179 for each additional viewer. *Contact Customer Service for more info.
*If your group includes an articled student, the first registration must be at the full rate if a lawyer is participating.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn about our Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the course/webinar? Subscribe to:
1. Online Course Materials* — an on-demand archive of CLEBC papers since 2001
2. Webinar Archive* — an on-demand, online video repository of most past CLEBC courses
*Annual subscription rate based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer*