Understand the science, hone your art!
Friday, October 19, 2018
9:00 am – 4:00 pm
Pan Pacific Hotel, 999 Canada Place, Vancouver,
or attend via webinar
Who should attend: All litigation counsel, both civil and criminal practitioners.
Learning level: Fundamental
For litigators, there is perhaps no more challenging element of advocacy than managing cross-examination, which has the ability to turn a case completely around—sometimes in an instant! This course will provide litigators like you with a solid grounding in the foundations of cross-examination, from theory to application. You will explore where cross-examination fits within the evidence and theory of the case, first principles, and best practices. You will leave this course understanding what you are doing when it comes to cross-examination, why you are doing it, and when you need to depart from the usual rules.
After taking this course, you will be able to:
- challenge the most common form of problematic testimony: mistaken but not deceptive testimony
- formulate a plan of action for managing opposing witnesses, including the ultimate question of "Do you cross-examine?"
- manage and handle an opposing witness in the witness box
- ensnare a lying witness in their own deception
- effectively cross-examine any expert witness by focusing on the underlying facts and assumptions
- manage an academic expert by using expert literature to challenge his/her opinion
- manage the various types of objections likely to arise in cross-examination
- understand the ethical issues that cross-examination raises and how to be on guard for problems
- handle your next cross-examination with renewed confidence
Cross-examination has been called the greatest legal engine for the discovery of truth. Join us and learn how to turbocharge your legal engine in one day!
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 6 hours (including a minimum of 1 hour involving professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Karey Brooks — JFK Law Corporation, Vancouver
Art Vertlieb, QC — Vertlieb & Co., Vancouver
Register by Sep 21
After Sep 21
|Save even more with your CPDone Pass.
Registration includes an electronic copy of the reference materials.
*Lunch is included.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! Plus-one pricing!
Gather a few colleagues around a computer to SAVE on Webinar/Rebroadcast costs! Groups pay full price for the main registrant + $179 for each additional viewer. *Contact Customer Service for more info.
*If your group includes an articled student, the first registration must be at the full rate if a lawyer is participating.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn about our Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the course/webinar? Subscribe to:
1. Online Course Materials* — an on-demand archive of CLEBC papers since 2001
2. Webinar Archive* — an on-demand, online video repository of most past CLEBC courses
*Annual subscription rate based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer*