Get all your ethics credits for the year!
Jump Start on CPD 2018
Monday, March 5, 2018
12:45 pm – 2:45 pm via webinar
(Original date: November 21, 2017)
Who should attend: Business lawyers and in-house counsel.
Learning level: All levels
Our panel of experts will present ethics fact patterns for discussion on topics such as code of conduct obligations, conflicts of interest, and honest dealings with clients. In addition to these essential topics, they will also explore some of the deeper and more ethically ambiguous issues which arise in active commercial practice that are not usually addressed, such as:
- is a lawyer an independent advisor or just expected to document a transaction where the details and outcome of which have already been decided by the parties?
- when is a lawyer "too close to a client"? What does this mean, how does it manifest, and what are the consequences?
- what should a lawyer do when his or her personal code of ethics or morals diverge from client instructions?
- is there a difference between a client asking whether a proposed course of action is "legal" and the client outlining the goal and telling a lawyer to strategize the course of action to achieve it? What is the meaning of "illegal" in the context of advice on commercial matters?
Join us to explore these difficult questions in an interactive discussion format.
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 2 hours (a minimum of 2 hours will involve professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Jon Festinger, QC — Festinger Law & Strategy, Vancouver
Lisa C. Fong — Ng Ariss Fong, Vancouver
Tom A. Hakemi — Hakemi & Ridgedale LLP, Vancouver
Valerie Mann — Lawson Lundell LLP, Vancouver
|Save even more with your CPDone Pass.
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
Please note: The CPD hours of the rebroadcast may differ from the CPD hours of the original, live program.
Jump Start on CPD 2018
Register by Feb 5
After Feb 5
|Webinar Rebroadcast Articled Student
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn about our Bursary Program and Easy Pay Plan.
Can't make the course/webinar? Subscribe to:
1. Online Course Materials* — an on-demand archive of CLEBC papers since 2001
2. Webinar Archive* — an on-demand, online video repository of most past CLEBC courses
*Annual subscription rate based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer