They say there is no substitute for experience…but this is it!
Bursaries available for this workshop. Click here for more information.
Wednesday, July 5 - Friday, July 7, 2017 — SOLD OUT!
8:30 am – 5:00 pm
Vancouver School of Music
843 Seymour Street, Vancouver
Who should attend: Civil and criminal litigators at all levels with some courtroom experience who want to enhance their courtroom skills and confidence.
Learning level: Intermediate
Have you ever wanted to receive honest, personalized feedback from senior counsel and judges in order to take your courtroom advocacy skills to the next level? This is your chance!
Unlike any other course offered at CLEBC, senior colleagues of the bench and the bar will provide you with the ultimate mentoring experience by helping you elevate your advocacy skills in a relaxed, safe environment in this three-day workshop. Within a practical and hands-on framework, refine your skills and learn how to influence the people that matter at trial with this rare chance to experiment and make mistakes without cost to your client or reputation.
Over the course of three days, you will:
- work through a civil mixed with criminal trial fact pattern and case materials by completing advocacy performance exercises in a small group led by a senior litigator team leader
- experience the intellectual, ethical, emotional, and physical demands of trial by performing multiple and repeated direct examination, cross-examination, opening, and closing exercises in a mock courtroom setting
- receive real-time critique regarding each of your performance exercises from team leaders and guest instructors
- have a lifetime opportunity to be video-recorded for two of your performance exercises
- receive individual attention and personalized, constructive feedback during one-on-one sessions with a senior member of the bench or bar who will review your video-recorded performances together with you
- watch live demonstrations of proper trial advocacy skills performed by experienced faculty
- act as a witness for other student performances to understand the witness experience at trial
- have the opportunity to understand the perspective from the bench
- dramatically improve your craft in a short time!
Past participants say:
“Fantastic. I was very impressed with both the amount of time senior members of the bar and bench dedicated to the course and to providing individual attention and constructive feedback. I improved and developed my skills and I left feeling far more confident about my abilities as a litigator."
“Excellent! As a ‘hands on learner’, I take away so much from doing and seeing rather than just listening. This was the perfect environment to experiment and try new things.”
“There are things you’ll learn in this course that even 10 years of trial experience won’t give you.”
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 22.5 hours (a minimum of 3 hours pertaining to professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
The Honourable Madam Justice Marvyn Koenigsberg — Supreme Court of BC, Vancouver
The Honourable Madam Justice Catherine A. Murray — Supreme Court of BC, Vancouver
Sandra A. Cunningham, QC — Crown Counsel, Vancouver
Andrew I. Nathanson — Fasken Martineau DuMoulin LLP, Vancouver
EARLY BIRD (Register by June 7, 2017 and SAVE)
Live Course: $1,485
After June 7, 2017
Live Course: $1,650
Registration includes lunch (all days), print and electronic versions of workshop materials, and a copy of the highly valued 504-page CLEBC book British Columbia Civil Trial Handbook—Fourth Edition (regularly $199) for FREE!
Unable to attend without financial support? Learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program and our Easy Pay Plan.
CLEBC Program Lawyer