A workplace death has occurred. Know your client's rights and obligations before the investigation starts to unfold!
"Last Kick at the Can" Rebroadcast
Tuesday, December 20, 2016; 1:00 pm – 4:00 pm
(Original course: Thursday, May 19, 2016)
Who should attend: Criminal lawyers, and corporate in-house, workers' compensation, and labour and employment counsel.
Learning level: All levels
Workplace fatalities are a tragic reality in a wide range of settings. When a fatality occurs, many businesses are not prepared to face the investigative machinery of WorksafeBC and the RCMP. It is not a simple matter. The WorksafeBC investigation under the BC Workers Compensation Act is a very different creature from a criminal investigation by the RCMP or city police under the Criminal Code. This comprehensive half-day program will examine the two processes with a view towards illuminating the differences and the nuances and how various factors will dictate the best course of action for a business.
At this course you will learn about...
- the history and background of the current regulatory/investigatory regime
- critical rights and obligations under the Workers Compensation Act
- the S. 7 Charter considerations and their implications for workplace fatality investigations
- practical tips and pointers on how to successfully navigate the delicate process surrounding workplace fatality investigations
Law Society of BC CPD Hours: 3 hours (a minimum of 30 minutes will involve aspects of professional responsibility and ethics, client care and relations, and/or practice management)
Jeff Dolan — Director, Investigation Services, WorkSafeBC, Vancouver
Eric V. Gottardi — Peck and Company, Vancouver
Tony Paisana — Peck and Company, Vancouver
"Last Kick at the Can" Rebroadcast: $240
Registration includes an electronic copy of the course materials.
SPECIAL GROUP RATES! New "plus-one" pricing!
Gather around one computer and SAVE on Live Webinar/Rebroadcast costs. Pay full price for the first registration and have each additional viewer join you for $125 per day/$65 per 1/2 day. Contact Customer Service for more info.
Webinar Archive: This course will be added to the Webinar Archive. See below to subscribe.
Unable to attend without financial support? To learn more about CLEBC's Bursary Program click here and for our Easy Pay Plan click here.
Can't make the live course/live webinar?
1. Order the online course materials, an archive of all CLEBC papers published since 2001. ... OR
2. Subscribe to the Webinar Archive, a repository of recordings of most CLEBC past courses.
Annual subscription rates for both options are based on firm size.
CLEBC Program Lawyer